The quest continues! I don’t know about you, but every time we go out to eat the kids immediately look for the mac and cheese on the menu. Then they will grade the quality of the restaurant by their mac and cheese offering! Sampling a few of these resturant mac and cheeses over the years, they had some really great ones.
What about making a quick mac and cheese dish at home? This could either be a side dish, appetizer or main course. I have tried many different recipes and the kids seem to like Annie’s boxed type the best. I am disgusted by it…I mean what cheese comes in a powder form? Answer: None!
This recipe the kids loved and was really good too! Give it a try and let me know how it works for you. Or do you have a better one? Share!
Kid’s Amazing Mac and Cheese
- 1 Instant Pot
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 lb dried elbow macaroni
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 lb shredded Italian five-cheese blend
- 4 tbsp curshed Italian-seasoned croutons (garnishing)
- 4 tbsp shredded parmigiano-reggiano (garnishing)
- Put instant pot into Sauté mode for 10 minutes.
- Add bacon and stir occasionaly until the bacon is crisp (about 4 minutes). Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a plate4 strips bacon chopped
- Melt butter in pot. Pour in broth and scrape up bacon bits from bottom of pot. Stir in ground mustart and onion powder. Cook and stir occasionaly until the broth is steamy but not simmering (about 3 minutes). Stir in macoroni and turn off the sauté function. Put on and lock lid on pot. Put pot in high pressure for 5 minutes. Use quick release when finished.4 tbsp butter, 4 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp dried mustard, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 lb dried elbow macaroni
- Place pot in Sauté mode. Whisk cream and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Once smooth, add to macoaroni mixture and cook. Continue stirring occasionaly and let it thicken for 1 minute as it bubbles.1 cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Stir in shredded cheese and bacon pieces. Turn off the Sauté function and transfer pot to wire rack to cool. Cool for couple of minutes so cheese melts. Stir and serve warm. Top with croutons and shredded Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese as desired.1 lb shredded Italian five-cheese blend, 4 tbsp curshed Italian-seasoned croutons (garnishing), 4 tbsp shredded parmigiano-reggiano (garnishing)
I am a single dad raising two wonderful daughters. As I continue to explore cooking, I will post recipes that are quick, homemade, and we all like. If you have suggestions or have some favorite ones, please share and post below.