The library opened on March 1, 1939 and on March 1, 2014 they threw a 75th birthday party! There was cake and punch, live music from Trashcan Joe, the official opening of the new parking lot, the dedication of the new wall mural, a kids craft, and a used book sale. All in all, a very busy day. Please take a moment to check out the pictures from the event.
The West Linn Library has its own storied history. Here is a brief timeline:
March 1, 1939: The new West Linn Library opens on the second floor of the City Hall building (now the police station) with a collection of 300 books.
March 30, 1965: The City makes plans for a new 7,000-square-foot library building on city-owned property at West A Street and Willamette Falls Drive, but the bond measure fails to pass. A second attempt on the May 28 ballot also fails.
October 1978: The library moves out of City Hall and into the 1,500-square-foot community room at the Bolton Fire Station.
March 31, 1987: Voters approve a $1.2 million bond proposal to finance construction of the city’s first dedicated library building.
April 1988: West Linn City Council approves a resolution authorizing the purchase of a 1.5-acre piece of land on Burns Street.
December 1988: Crews break ground on construction of the new library building.
December 1989: The new 10,000-square-foot library opens to the public.
May 2000: Voters approve a $3.9 million bond measure to remodel and expand the library.
June 2001: The library moves to temporary quarters at Bolton Elementary School while the library building is remodeled.
June 2002: The newly remodeled and expanded 28,000-square-foot library re-opens to the public.
To see the complete history compiled by Alan Lewis, please click here.